ForeFlight will be offering a paid GIS Internship during the summer of 2019. A person in this role will be responsible for acquiring geospatial aeronautical data and storing these data in a geodatabase. The GIS Intern will have an opportunity to demonstrate and improve their skills and professionalism in a real-world GIS environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collect, analyze, and process data about individual airport environments.
- Normalize data collected to be stored in a geodatabase.
- Ensure existing data meet quality control standards to ensure safety of flight.
- Work cooperatively with product development team to provide timely, accurate data and products.
- Other duties as assigned by team, lead & manager.
Skills & Requirements
- Be enrolled in a Geographic Information Science (or similar) program at an accredited two or four-year educational institution.
- Have taken an Introduction to GIS course (or equivalent).
- Experience with GIS software, word processing, and spreadsheet programs.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills including the ability to make telephone calls and compose emails.
- Keyboard skills
- Time management
- PostgreSQL / PostGIS.
- Amazon Web Services.
- Familiarity with airport environment.
In lieu of a cover letter, applicants are encouraged to create and provide a link to an ArcGIS Story Map answering the following:
- Introduce yourself.
- What got you interested in GIS?
- Why do you want an internship with ForeFlight?
- What are your goals for this internship?
- Explain a problem you one day hope to solve with GIS.
About ForeFlight, LLC
ForeFlight produces the best-selling iPad and iPhone app for pilots flying personal and business aircraft, corporate flight departments, and aircraft operators. Customers include individual pilots worldwide, Fortune 500 corporate flight departments, state and federal agencies, leading operators, and leading aircraft OEMs. We have been in the App Store since Day 1 (7/10/2008) and are consistently ranked in the top 50 grossing iPad apps in the App Store.
We are known as a leader in aviation and software development because we build exceptional products and hire skilled employees. Over the last decade, we have not only revolutionized the pilot’s flight bag but serve customers across the world and touch all segments of aviation. Our drive for innovation is why we won Aviation Week’s Laureate Award for Best New Product, received Flying Magazine’s Editor’s Choice Award four times, and are featured in Apple’s “Dreams” iPhone commercial.
We are a product-focused company where software development and customer service are the top priorities. Our software development team hails from Trinity University, Rice University, Texas A&M, UT Austin, and Clemson. We score 12 out of 12 on the Joel Test. We love shipping.