Come fly with ForeFlight.
Mobile OpenGL Engineer
At ForeFlight we know you want a rewarding career. To do that, you need challenging projects, a good work environment, and awesome coworkers. We believe in our employees, and we empower them to make a direct impact on our products and messaging. Because we understand what our staff need, we have a low turn-around rate, our employees become brand ambassadors, and we are recognized as a premier leader in the aviation industry.
ForeFlight is looking for a motivated computer graphics engineer to join our mobile development team. This individual will have responsibility for developing a wide range of 2D and 3D solutions using OpenGL ES 2.0+ on iOS.
Technically, this person must have proven experience with C/C++ and large scale OpenGL ES 2.0 implementations on iOS. Professionally, this person has a track record of completing projects independently, is driven to execute, seeks advice and direction from team members when needed, and plows ahead to completion when the path forward is clear.
The successful applicant will be working closely with our Sr. Software Developers and Sr. Graphic Designers.
This position is based in Portland, ME. A pilot-coder, or individual looking to pursue his or her private pilot license, is a plus. Benefits include medical insurance, 401K with matching, and flight training reimbursement.
Skills & Requirements
- University Graduate in Computer Science degree or similar program (as a minimum)
- Strong Objective-C and C/C++ knowledge
- Extensive experience with OpenGL ES 2.0 on iOS
- Experience with the dynamic GL pipeline
- >Experience with dynamic mesh generation
- Experience with implementing design patterns
- Excels in 3D math (linear algebra, matrix and vector math)
- Strong problem solving abilities
- Works well in a team environment and individually
- Solid coding practices including design, unit testing, and peer code-reviews
- Able to adapt to fast paced dynamic environment
- Strong background in optimizing OpenGL ES 2.0 usage on iOS
- Experience or interest in mapping and/or cartography
- Experience modeling terrain and virtual globes in OpenGL
- Experience with integrating 3D models
- Experience with several game engineer domains (e.g. AI, pathfinding, animation, physics, UI).
- Experience in Computational Geometry (NURBS, Subdivision Surfaces, Progressive Meshes, LOD)
- Relevant professional experience
- Passion for Mobile Development
- High sense of quality and polish
- Health and dental benefits.
- 401(k) with matching.
- Performance based bonuses.
- Flight training reimbursement.
About ForeFlight, LLC
ForeFlight produces the best selling iPad and iPhone app for pilots flying personal and business aircraft, corporate flight departments, and aircraft operators. Customers include individual pilots worldwide, Fortune 500 corporate flight departments, state and federal agencies, leading operators, and leading aircraft OEMs. We have been in the App Store since Day 1 (7/10/2008) and are consistently ranked in the top 50 grossing iPad apps in the App Store.
We are known as a leader in aviation and software development because we build exceptional products and hire skilled employees. Over the last decade, we have not only revolutionized the pilot’s flight bag but serve customers across the world and touch all segments of aviation. Our drive for innovation is why we won Aviation Week’s Laureate Award for Best New Product, received Flying Magazine’s Editor’s Choice Award four times, and are featured in Apple’s “Dreams” iPhone commercial.
Our downtown Portland office is located at 2 Union Street. We are a product-focused company where software development and customer service are the top priorities. Our software development team hails from Trinity University, Rice University, Texas A&M, UT Austin, and Clemson. We score 12 out of 12 on the Joel Test. We love shipping.
If you’ve contributed to any open source projects, make sure to include links to relevant code. If you are a recent graduate, please include a copy of your transcript. In your cover letter, please indicate any aviation experience and list any relocation preferences or constraints.