Support / FAQs
¶ Where can I learn more about using and setting up a Weight and Balance profile for my aircraft?
You can read the Weight and Balance Guide online or you can view it within ForeFlight Mobile by going to Documents > Catalog > ForeFlight.
We also have an introductory Weight & Balance video that you may find helpful
¶ Where can I find the Weight & Balance feature within ForeFlight Mobile?
The Weight & Balance feature is included with both the Basic Plus and Pro Plus subscription plans for individuals, and is available as an add-on for other plans. You can find the feature on the 'More' page under the 'Weight & Balance' tab.
¶ Will the Weight and Balance feature work for my aircraft?
In most cases, yes! The following criteria are needed to use the Weight and Balance feature within ForeFlight Mobile:
- Fixed-wing aircraft (lateral loading for helicopters is not currently supported).
- The Takeoff and landing CG limits are the same.
- The Flight envelope graph is weight vs. CG.
- You use actual passenger and luggage weights (not FAA AC 120-27D standard weights).
- The fuel burn can be treated as a straight line on the flight envelope graph.
- There is at most 1 fuel moment table (i.e. a single variable-arm fuel station).
- Weight limits are constant and do not vary with CG.
- The CG is in length units (not %MAC).
¶ For which aircraft are the Weight and Balance SmartOptions interview questions available?
We are working hard to add more, but at this time the list below shows the models that are available. If your aircraft is not on this list, you can still use the Weight and Balance feature by manually entering the Arms, Moments and Stations using the information from your aircraft's POH or AFM.
Beech 76 (Duchess)
Diamond DA 40
Diamond DA 40 F
Diamond DA 40 NG
Diamond DA 42
Diamond DA 42 M-NG
Diamond DA 42 NG
¶ What information will I need to manually complete an aircraft Weight and Balance profile if I can't use the SmartOption feature?
You will need the following items:
1. Tail Number
For each station:
4. Station name
5. Station arm (required)
6. Station weight limit (if applicable)
For the empty aircraft:
7. Empty weight (required)
8. Empty moment (required)(Not the Arm)
10. Takeoff (required)
12. Zero fuel
For each forward and aft CG limit:
13. CG limit (required)
14. Associated weight (required)
If you have a variable-arm fuel tank, for each point of the fuel moment table:
15. Associated moment
¶ My aircraft can be operated in both Normal and Utility categories. Can I show both categories on the same loading graph?
No. We considered this, but because some limits can change with category, the user interface became overly complicated. To keep things simple we chose to allow only one category per Weight & Balance profile.
You can have multiple profiles for each aircraft, so you will want to create separate profiles for each category. You can add "Normal" or "Utility" to the 'Profile Name' section to tell the profiles apart.
¶ Will my Weight and Balance profile sync across my devices?
Syncing of aircraft Weight & Balance profiles across devices on your account is supported in ForeFlight Mobile version 7.2 and later. To make sure the sync feature is enabled, from within the ForeFlight Mobile app, go to MORE > SETTINGS > SYNCHRONIZE USER DATA and turn the switch to ON.
¶ How do I share an aircraft Weight and Balance profile with another pilot?
ForeFlight Mobile does offer a means of emailing aircraft W&B Profiles to another device. To do this on an iPad, follow these steps:
1. Go to the MORE page.
2. Select the WEIGHT & BALANCE option on the left side.
3. Select a profile you want to send to another device from the right side. When the Aircraft W&B profile is displayed, there will be a SEND TO button in the upper right corner of the screen (It looks like a square with an up arrow).
4. Tap on the SEND TO button.
5. Tap on MAIL
6. Enter an email address in the TO: line that is accessible on the other device.
7. Select the SEND button in the upper right.
Now, go to the other device and check for the email. Once you find it, open it up. In the first paragraph of the email is a blue hyperlinked section of text that you will want to tap on. It will be the same as the name of your Aircraft W&B Profile. The Aircraft W&B Profile will open in ForeFlight and will now be saved for use on the other device.To send a Weight & Balance profile from an iPhone, navigate to the W&B page by tapping Menu, then scrolling down and tapping Weight & Balance. Select the aircraft profile you want to send from the dropdown menu at the top, tap the Summary tab in the bottom right, then tap the Send To button in the top right to email, copy, or print the profile.
¶ How do I get a PDF copy of my Loading Summary?
With the aircraft Weight & Balance profile showing, tap the 'Send-to' button in the upper right corner and choose 'Mail.' The email includes a PDF copy of the Loading Summary.
¶ Why is the Center of Gravity envelope distorted or squished off to the right side and it shows way out of CG?
You will want to start by checking two things in your Weight & Balance setup:
1. Please be sure you entered a Moment value in the 'Empty Aircraft' section on the Weight & Balance setup page. Most setup values are Arms (in.), but this particular line requires a Moment (in-lb.) value.
2. The other possibility that could cause this problem is that the the Pilot's Operating Handbook (POH) sometimes shows empty moment divided by 100 or 1,000, to keep the numbers smaller (this just simplifies viewing and working with the numbers). You may need to multiply the moment value of the POH by 100 or even 1000. If you know the Arm for this value, you can simply multiply the Arm by the Weight to get the Moment (Arm x Weight = Moment).
See page 14 of the Weight and Balance in ForeFlight Mobile guide (also available within ForeFlight Mobile under Documents > Catalog > ForeFlight in the iPad) for more details.
- ForeFlight Mobile
- Aeronautical Maps
- Pricing and Subscriptions
- ForeFlight Performance
- ForeFlight on the Web
- Military Flight Bag
- Synthetic Vision
- Geo-referenced Plates
- Weight & Balance
- Flight Plan Filing
- Stratus and ADS-B
- In-Flight XM Weather
- Guides & Supplements
- iPad and Accessory Buying Guide
- Release History