Apply for your own ForeFlight call sign for use with the FAA’s Privacy ICAO Address (PIA) program or as a privacy-enhancing flight ID. ForeFlight Call Signs are included in ForeFlight Performance plans.

Get Performance

Jump to Section

Call Sign Application Form
Call Sign FAQs


ForeFlight’s Call Sign program allows you to receive a unique “FFL” identifier with which you can file flight plans in place of your aircraft's tail number. ForeFlight call signs are available for all ForeFlight Performance customers, regardless of what type of aircraft you fly.

There are numerous benefits to filing with a call sign based on your particular situation, including:

Improved Privacy

Filing with a call sign is an easy way to add a layer of privacy that would not be possible when filing with your tail number. Using a call sign prevents others from seeing your aircraft’s actual registration as part of your ADS-B Out transmission, and also prevents anyone from easily finding your aircraft using flight tracking services like FlightAware. And if you have blocked your aircraft's tail number at the FAA level, a call sign allows you to still track your flights using those services, while making them difficult to track for others.

Compliance with FAA’s PIA Program

For those seeking maximum privacy from flight tracking, the FAA’s Privacy ICAO Address (PIA) program offers a solution. Filing with a call sign hides your aircraft’s registration, but it doesn’t hide your aircraft’s fixed ADS-B ICAO address, which is tied to your aircraft’s registration and could thus be used to track your flights. The PIA program allows you to change your aircraft’s ICAO address to one associated only with the call sign, severing the link to your aircraft's actual registration. Learn more about PIA and the requirements to enter the program here.

Flexible PDC Delivery

Registering for Pre-Departure Clearance (PDC) through ForeFlight using your aircraft’s tail number imposes certain restrictions, including limiting your use of PDC to only that aircraft and preventing anyone other than yourself (or other pilots on the same multi-pilot account) from filing flight plans with that aircraft. These restrictions are not tenable for someone who flies aircraft used by others (such as rentals), or who wants to use PDC with multiple aircraft. Registering for PDC using a call sign avoids both of these issues, allowing you to file with the call sign and receive your PDC for multiple aircraft and for aircraft flown by others. Like ForeFlight call signs, PDC is available for all Performance customers at no additional charge. Learn more about PDC through ForeFlight here.

ForeFlight Call Signs are available at no additional cost with all ForeFlight Performance plans.

Not on Performance?
Get Performance

To apply for a ForeFlight Call Sign, fill out and submit the form below with information about yourself and the aircraft you want a call sign for. Our Flight Operations team will review your information and reach out with steps to complete the call sign registration.

Call Sign Application

Who do you primarily file flight plans with?
Are you planning to use this call sign as part of the FAA's PIA program?

Call Sign FAQs


Q: Which subscription do I need to have to register for a ForeFlight Call Sign?

A: ForeFlight Call Signs are available to customers on Performance Plus or Business Performance.

Q: Do I need to pay extra to register for a ForeFlight Call Sign?

A: No, a call sign is available as part of the Performance Plus or Business Performance plans at no extra charge.  However, you may be billed for overflight charges that ForeFlight receives in association with your call sign.

Q: How long will it take after registering before I can start using my ForeFlight Call Sign?

A: ForeFlight Call Signs are assigned after receipt of your registration form. Our team will send you a confirmation of registration with your designated call sign.

Q: What kind of flights am I allowed to use my ForeFlight Call Sign on?

A: You can use your call sign on any VFR or IFR flight plan within the U.S. airspace. If your flight leaves U.S. airspace at any point then you may not use your call sign on that flight.

Q: Do I have to file a flight plan in order to use my ForeFlight Call Sign on that flight?

A: No, you can use your call sign on VFR flights that you do not file. ATC will still refer to you by your call sign if you contact them during the flight.

Q: How do I file with a call sign in ForeFlight?

A: Take a look at this article for a step-by-step guide to filing flight plans with call signs in ForeFlight.

Q: Do I need to file in ForeFlight if I’m using my ForeFlight Call Sign?

A: Yes, you are required to file your flight plan in ForeFlight if you are using your ForeFlight Callsign.

Q: Can I use one ForeFlight Call Sign with multiple aircraft?

A: Yes, one of the benefits of call signs is the ability to use it when filing flight plans with different aircraft.

Q: Do I need to program my ForeFlight Call Sign into my aircraft’s transponder?

A: Yes, if you have a Mode S or ADS-B transponder you must program your callsign into your transponder in accordance with AC 120-26N.

Q: What do ForeFlight Call Signs look like?

A: Every ForeFlight Call Sign begins with the designator ‘FFL’ followed by a series of numbers (ex. FFL1234).

Q: Can I choose which numbers are included in my call sign?

A: No, ForeFlight Call Signs are assigned randomly.

Q: If I register for a call sign, am I required to use it on every flight?  

A: No, it is up to you whether you want to file with the call sign for a flight.

Q: How will ATC refer to me during a flight that I filed with a ForeFlight Call Sign?

A: During a flight  as “ForeFlight….” (ex. ForeFlight1234).

Q: Can I register multiple ForeFlight Call Signs for the same aircraft?

A: At this time we are limiting call signs to one per aircraft.

Q: If I receive an overflight charge when using my call sign, how will ForeFlight handle that?

A: If ForeFlight receives an overflight charge or other charge associated with your assigned call sign, we will bill your card on file. You can find receipts for these transactions on your account at